Sunday, September 6, 2009

I think it's about faith. . .

God doesn't give me more than I can handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much. -Mother Teresa.

Today I was sitting on the front step eating popsicles with J. I debated whether we should go out on the back porch or the front step, and since we never sit on the front step I felt like we should mix it up a little and do that. I had forgotten that God will put you exactly where he needs you. I feel that so much more acutely being at the epicenter of other people's medical crisises. But I tend to forget this in my personal life, with my family.
About 5 mins into our popsicles a young boy of maybe 4 or 5, clearly upset, came to the bottom step and asked me for help. He was lost, couldn't find his mom or dad or home. In my gut I knew his story was true. I asked him his name, tried to calm him down to help him remember his address (he didn't know it). Asked him for a phone number, which seemed a jumble of numbers that didn't go anywhere. I told him to wait on the step, and I went to grab my house phone and I called the police. There was clearly a language barrier with this child, and I wasn't getting any closer to helping him, so I figured best to leave it to the police.
They came at once. Officer Kelly was very nice. He asked the child tons of questions, and came back and told me he was frustrated that he was getting no where too. The child could have come from anywhere, there are dozens of neighborhoods that intersect with the local woods and park nearby. We just had nothing to go on. So we stayed with him and waited for his parents to report him missing so that he could be reunited that way. An hour and 1/2 later I heard a mother's gut wrenching scream as she called for him. I ran to her and told her to follow me and J (who was very cranky, he didn't bank on being on the front step that long).
When reunited she screamed and hugged her son. It could only be her son because only she could actually pronounce his name. She thanked me profusely, the father just glared at me. I don't think he liked the police being involved. C'est la vie. The family had just moved here yesterday, they were in the process of moving in today when the child wondered off. That's why he didn't know his address. The cop told me we did the right thing, we kept him in one place long enough for his parents to track him down. Considering he had an hour and 1/2 start on them, no telling how this might have ended otherwise. God wanted me on that front step for that child. This I know.
So I know that being in a bidding war for the house we want is meant to be too. It isn't fun, it's not pleasant, and it's made everything much more stressful. (Just when I was starting to chill a little). But the outcome is not in my hands. I would be thrilled to get the house, however since there is now a 50% chance I won't, I'm at peace with it. Because he showed me today exactly what I needed to know, that he is in control, all the time, in every way. Even when I think he is not. So I think it's about faith. Happy weekend to you! A decision will be made tomorrow afternoon. Until then.
And a little child shall lead them. Isaiah 11:1-10.

13 comments:

Lindsay said...

What an amazing story! You are a true blessing to that child and his family.

betsy (pharmgirl) said...

Wow.

i've been thinking a lot about stuff like this lately . . . but not getting the same answers you are!

susy said...

Your story gave me goose bumps, it's something we all need reminding of.
Thank you for sharing.

Sasha Farina said...

OMG>. i get goosebumps reading this...*hugs* my friend, you're really an inspiration.

Aida Haron, Singapore said...

Danielle I could not agree with you more about God planning it all ! Perhaps sending that lost boy was a way of giving you perspective, to look at the bigger picture ? Whenever I get into a *oh-pity-me mode*, there will always be a sign somehwere pulling me out, squarely sitting me down and opening my eyes to other possibilities.

Still, I hope the house situation works out.

Jody said...

Chills.
I got 'em.
Awesome story, Danielle

janel said...

Love it. So glad that you were there! Crossing my fingers for you!

eMeLiNe Seet said...

what a relief the boy met u ... His plan is always timely and perfect. You were the boy's angel...:)

deb famularo said...

WoW Danielle. you absolutely did the right thing by calling the authorities, had you not and these parents found you with their boy, who knows what could have happened. I hate being like that, but you never know! And the house, keep positive thoughts, it will happen for you!!! You are a Blessing my dear,that is for sure!

mademoisellechitchat said...

Danielle: This is truly a beautiful and touching post! Indeed, God orders our steps.

Kacey Elliott said...

That is a fabulous story and it truly does give you some perspective :) That boy was lucky you found him! I am surprised there are still bidding wars going on out there; best of luck to you with that situation. We just sold our house and are moving into a temporary house until we find what we are looking for. Like you, I hate the thought of renting, but sometimes God puts you where he needs you :) We'll see what his plan is here...

kristina proffitt said...

Wow! So glad you were there to help! God DOES put us where we need to be! Good job! :-D

Houston said...

Danielle, I'm so glad I had a chance to stop by your blog today. I needed to read the story you wrote and remind myself that God has put where I am for a reason. Thank you for that gentle reminder. I'm thrilled you got the the house and I hope the inspection was good!