Monday, September 7, 2009

The Conclusion

Background for those who don't follow this blog: We have been searching for a house for nearly a year, unable to find anything with location, good schools, good commute, good price and good condition. We finally found such a house on Thursday of last week. We presently live in a lemon of a rental, in a not great school district.
Up to date: today
The deadline for our final and best offer was 1pm today, but we wrote the offer last night. I knew there was a 50%/50% chance we would not get the house in our bid against the other buyer.
I got a call from my realtor at 3:30pm. I saw her number and closed my eyes. And covered them with my hand.

Me: Hello?
Realtor: Hi, can you talk?
Me: Yep (voice cracks), yes.
(in my head to myself: pull yourself together, we are prepared, we are not going to cry or fall apart in anyway. Be cool.)
Realtor: Do you want the good news or the bad news?
Me: The bad news.
(in my head to myself: Don't cry.)
Realtor: There are now 5 offers on the table.
Me: FIVE?!
(in my head to myself: And we're done. Don't cry. Don't cry. I mean it. It's so over. What a bunch of crap, 5 offers. Don't cry.)
Realtor: Yes, there are really 5 offers on the table.
Me: So now what?
Realtor: Don't you want to know the good news?
Me: Sure, hit me with the good news.
Realtor: The homeowner doesn't want to play games anymore, the house is yours. You guys won the house!
Me: (speechless)
(in my head to myself: are we still going to cry? Maybe. . .)
Me: Really, really? Like really for real? Not kidding?
Realtor: Yep, looks like you have a house with some resale value there, congratulations!
Me: I guess so! 5 offers, that's insane. Thanks!

Seriously, there were 3 offers overnight on the same house, for a total of 5 including ours. How insane is this market? See, the problem is that it's the best house to come on the market in a long time here, in a great location, and the best school district. And at great, unheard of price. Plus everyone only has until Nov to use the Obama tax credit.
And after stringing us along for 4 days now entertaining all these offers, they chose ours. We had the most creative (not necessarily the most expensive) concessions. :) I still can't believe it, I was so prepared for the conversation to end very differently that it seems surreal. Hoping to lock in a great interest rate, crossing fingers. But I already know how blessed and lucky we are. :)
We won't be moving for almost 90 days, so things should start to get back to a new normal around here. Until tomorrow, happy day!
Note to self: have faith, something could go right!

18 comments:

mademoisellechitchat said...

Honey, I've BEEN there, and I've been there alone - - - minus my parents offering me solid advice. I went through 4 realtors, but I am now in a home that I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!! You can check out my blog starting with the end of February all through March to see what God blessed me with; my faith NEVER waivered!!!!

Get ready to DECORATE and be BROKE!!!!!! ;)

deb famularo said...

oh my God, I am so happy for you Danielle!!! SO happy!!!!
I bet you get a great night's sleep tonight girl!! That's awesome!!!! xoxo

Lindsay said...

Congratulations, Danielle! That is such exciting news - I am so happy for you! :)

Kimber-Leigh said...

congrats danielle!!! what a huge blessing...can't wait to see pics of your new home!

Erika said...

YEA!!!!!!!!!! Isn't it just wonderful when things work out the way YOU want for a change. What wonderful news! Can't wait for the pictures!

Carrie said...

What great news Danielle! So happy for you & your family. Hope your new home has an awesome scrap space! ;)

janel said...

Oh, that is GREAT!!! What excitement. I know that you are on cloud 9. Congratulations!!! Yea Yea!! Can't wait to see photos.

AnnaB said...

Wohooooo....! You're giving me goosebumps...! Congratulations Danielle...!!

Aida Haron, Singapore said...

Even reading this my heart was in my mouth *LOL* .... so happy for you !

Jody said...

Wooooooooooohoooooooooooooo!
"New normal"...I use this term all the time for our new life too :)
I'm so happy for you and yours!

Carol Clayton said...

It really IS all about faith! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

kristina proffitt said...

Congratulations!!! That is AWESOME news, girl! So happy for you guys! Yay! :-D

Kacey Elliott said...

Congratulations! That is so wonderful for you!

betsy (pharmgirl) said...

omgosh Danielle! that is awesome!

Zorina said...

just wonderful news! CONGRATULATIONS, my dear.

Paige Taylor Evans said...

Wow! That's so exciting! It's meant to be. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Congrats! It was worth all the waiting, looking and energy! So glad the effort turned into such a wonderful result!

*reyanna* said...

This is AMAZING! Congrats to you guys! YAY!

I can't wait to have a house...