This day 3 years ago, dh and his men were seriously injured when an IED was detonated while there vehicle drove by. Dh and K spent time in the San Antonio Burn Unit, and M was killed instantly.
The rose is from his wife. Today, here is what I know:
1. I will never be over it, but I can learn to live with it peacefully.
2. I'm so grateful dh is alive and functional in all aspects of his life.
3. I'm so sad for M., for M's wife, for M's family.
4. I feel badly for K and K's family too, as he is significantly disabled.
5. I remember that phone call and that day so vividly, and later on I took my dog and went for a drive in my truck down to the river. I stopped beside a flag pole and really looked at the flag. There seemed to me a lot of red (blood) on the flag, a great deal of men/women have died for us, for our freedom, for this way of life. I have never forgotten that when I have since seen a flag.
We shouldn't forget.