Tuesday, September 30, 2008

May you live in interesting times. . .

I think that we do live in interesting times. Especially yesterday. 

I watched the market crash, down 777 points, the biggest one day drop ever. I'm not a day trader, but I'm fascinated by how we are all connected, all over the world, in our economy and financial markets. Another bank, Wachovia went belly up yesterday. While this may not seem like a big deal to some, I come from a tiny little town where Wachovia is one of only two banks. This affects my family, and all the people we know in that town. I wonder what will happen to the people that have worked at that bank since we moved there 20 years ago now. 

J playing in a corn field in my hometown, NC.

One of the things in medicine that is so important is to help the patient name the devil. A patient struggles and suffers with symptoms they don't understand. They come to the doctor and the doctor gives their enemy a name. And people do much better with that. They can fight cancer or multiple sclerosis or other chronic disease. They can't fight what they don't know.

 I think that the reason our legislators are struggling with what to do is because they don't know what they are dealing with. Is this a hic-up,  a cold, a flu, guillian barre (paralysis of the whole body, in this case I mean financial system), a cancer? I have yet to hear any financial experts call this a recession, a depression, an acute crisis (like the S&L crisis). I think we need to name it, then we can fight it. But clearly my focus is not economics. What do I know.

In my little world we are celebrating dh's graduation today! Off to go get dressed up for the occasion, a rare event for a SAHM. 

9 comments:

Lisa Dorsey said...

Scary times indeed. Have fun at your "dressed up" event. :)

Susan Beth said...

It is interesting, and leads to interesting stressful thought life for me. But, clinging to the knowledge that a laugh and lots of love can happen even when the economy is nothing but a source of frustration and concern. Congrats to dh on graduating.

janel said...

Have a great day, and take lots of pictures. The next few months are the ones that will be written about and talked about in 100 years, so it is extra important that we journal and record all that we can about it.
Have a good one.

Anonymous said...

Girl, I am SCARED of these times, honestly I am. Love that photo...have a good time at your dh's graduation!!

camport said...

Congrats to your hubby! We have a graduation coming up soon, too, though we won't be attending, just getting the diploma.

Interesting times, for sure! I can't wait to see how this whole situation pans out. Charlotte is FREAKING OUT over the whole Wachovia thing...

:)

Nicole said...

enjoy getting all dolled up!! =)

Nancywithajones said...

we have wachovia here in Mobile too. It is one of the big banks. So Im wondering what is going to happen. I also am glad we had Regions. (ya I know how selfish of me but its scary i tell ya)
You are so right. I can remember how scared I was and so confused nad didnt know what to fight till I was told ms now I know what I can do and not do. Maybe we should name this something like satan rofl. SATANSS FINANCES! then we can pull out our light sabers and defeat it hehehe

Kristii said...

Good points! I just hope we don't treat the illness with the wrong medicine!! Thank goodness the Lord is ultimately in control!
Hope you had fun dressing up-I hope you took pictures!

NoraAnne said...

Such a cut picture of J! Enjoy getting dressed up (and enjoy even more when you can take off those fancy clothes and get comfy again ;)
It definitely is scary out there, I like your analogy though. Ya have to know what you are up against to stand a chance.