Friday, January 9, 2009

All over the place

I'm updating late today because I had to take J for his semi-annual dentist appt. Despite the fact that he was totally freaked out that a stranger was touching him, he got a glowing report. No plaque, no cavities, nothing exciting. Thank goodness, if she wanted to do more than that to him I'm pretty sure we would have to knock him out. He was so upset by just the thorough check-up, about the same as the barber. 
I like the dentist, don't get me wrong. She is super nice, and good with kids normally. I tried to explain away the behavior as just stranger anxiety with a little I'm-two-I-do-my-own-thing attitude mixed in. The response I got was, "He's not in daycare? He really should be." Uh? 
Now, before everyone suits up in their battle armor, let me just say that I'm Switzerland. Really, to each his own. It's your kid, you have to live with them all this life so it is totally your choice. SAHM, WAHM, Working Mom, does not matter to me. I choose to stay at home with my son because I think it is a very short couple of years away from my career. I want to invest my time and attention in raising him while he is still little. These are the memories I want when I'm 80 years old rocking in the rocking chair. I don't think it's wrong to put your kid in daycare, you do what you have to do, what you want to do. But I'm shocked that I would be told that "I should." As in I'm wrong not to. I agree, my son could benefit from socialization. With no siblings, he is a bit clingy to me. But I'm looking into some classes for him for the spring. I don't think daycare is the answer for me. And I'm offended to be told such. 
I live in a very big major city, and that attitudes about things here are so not what I was raised to believe. Money is not my King, it's not what I worship, it's not what I serve. I don't need things to be happy. And yet the underlying premise to every conversation that I have with anyone I meet here has to do with money, working, (to-buy) things.  I miss the country, I miss my little map-dot small town I grew up in. The people there have nothing, but they are happy. It's funny, as a teenager/young adult, I spent all my time dreaming and planning a way out of that little backward town. As an adult, I spent a good portion of my daydreaming trying to figure out how to get back there. I could only be so lucky to be practice medicine in a small town like that.
Clearly my thoughts are just all over the place today. I miss seeing pages on my blog. And even though I have no time, I could not resist the beautiful Studio Calico Jan kit:
Happy Friday! 
ETA: Scribble Scrabble is updated with peaks and a giveaway; see the sidebar for links!

8 comments:

Jennifer Davis said...

I love the layout, and I'm glad you shared what you did about the dentist's comment. It is totally your choice what you want to do with your child! I would have been annoyed at the very least too! Way to go too regarding the A+ tooth report! =)

Susan Beth said...

Nobody has the right to decide for you what is best for your child. Your values sound similar to what we try to live by here in our household. Frankly, who cares if the dentist scares him - scares a lot of adults too! And he's just two. And kids who are fussing with strangers trying to touch them are not horrible, in fact, I personally think they are quite reasonable.

janel said...

No need to worry. He will be grown up before you know it...it passes all too quickly. God with your gut, God gave you those feelings for a reason!

Anonymous said...

Well I call bull on that one. i got a lot of the same "advice" about H when he was still an only. We had no other friends with kids, lived far from family, and he was around adults a lot more than kids. but he's turning out fine, and I think we can both a big PHFFFFFTTTTT raspberry to anyone who questions our judgment as mamas. :)

Sweet Peripety said...

i am shocked with you about what was said...aye yi yi! glad you can move on from it, although that can really upset a mom....i know thr feeling. hugs....

hey, btw, your l/o is superb...

Elisa said...

Great news about J's tooth, I am sorry you have to hear this sort of "advice".
Totally agree with you, there more than one (or two) ways to be a good parent.
My 3-year-old is still clingy and a bit shy, and he's been going to a creche since he was one, and he has an older sibling too.
And I love it, he will soon be wanting to play with his mates and might not have much time for hugs and kisses, I treasure my little mama's boy moments.

Stacey Michaud said...

Lovin this layout! And I admire your decisions even though they are totally different from my decision! Because, everybody needs to do what is right for them. Sorry you got a hassle! BTW: Can't wait to see what you do with the new CC!

Kristii said...

Well said my dear!! I was a stay at home mom while my kids were young and I do not regret one moment!! They grow up way tooo fast!! Our family is close knit and my kids are all doing fantastic!

Wonderful layout!! I love your work and I can't wait to see what you have in store!!!