Friday, July 18, 2008

Looking sharp

Up until now, I feel like I've had a good relationship with my Carl trimmer I got from Office Max, 3 years ago. It needs blades very infrequently, but it need cutting strips or mats often. I go through a package of 2 in a months time, quicker when I scrap more. Well, I couldn't find the replacement mats at any of the local office supply stores. So I went online, only to find that even though I had been buying them for $4 for 2, online now they are $13 for 2. That's a lot. I'm not sure if these are made of oil or natural gas or something? I don't have any good reason for the huge increase in price. But when I did the math, I was looking at $150 per year easy for cutting mats. That's a lot of Thickers my friends.

And so, I decided to spend less than a 1/3 of that on this:



I'm hoping this cuts straight and even. It would be a dream come true for me, no parts to replace. Do you have this? Do you love it? I hope I made the right decision, so many options!

13 comments:

janel said...

As I was working with mine last night, I was thinking about you. I think you will really like it. I do like mine a whole lot...just make sure you keep your fingers on the safety guide so that the paper is nice and tight..then you get a great straight cut. Let me know how you like it. Have a great weekend.creative

Anonymous said...

don't have it, but it looks way cool! and if i were you, i'd put your savings toward more mid-week Chipotle visits!

Lauren said...

Holy Cow..That's quite a trimmer.. It reminds me of what the teachers use to use in school when I was a kid.. Very Cool.

liz mataraza said...

which one is that? love the colors. i have a fiskars one with the rolling blade...i've never changed either the blade nor the mat. i cut everything with it.

i mean, it probably needs changing, but...eh. i'm a cheap you know what.

Michelle said...

I have that trimmer, and I love it! It cuts straight every time, and the blade has not dulled at all. (I've had it for almost a year.) I think you've made a good choice! ;)

denine zielinski said...

I'm still using my 12x12 fiskars cheapie cutter, so this one looks like heaven to me!

Jen Martakis said...

I have the Tonic with the smaller base and I LOVE mine. I would never go to another trimmer. :)

Susan Beth said...

That's my kind of trimmer! Seriously, been using something similar for years! Never sharpened or replaced anything. Love it. Only disadvantage - it is heavy and takes up a lot of space if I need to go somewhere with it. Oh well.

jlaw said...

I think trimmers are like adhesive- everyone has their own personal fave. I know my Jack would love it! It calls them swords :)

ricanlaw said...

Let me know how you like it.

Christi said...

I don't have one but tell me how you like it! I might have to save money to purchase one! Whoo hoo on your new purchase!

Lulu said...

Please let me know if you like it!! I am so hesitant to buy a trimmer, I don't think it should be to much to ask that they cut straight!!! lol

Stacey Michaud said...

I have this one too and I love it!!! By the way, saw all of your CC projects at CHA---gorgeous! I took photos and will be sure to share with you!